As we approach the New Year I thought it would be encouraging to mention some of the ways we can be reading scripture and some of the Christian classics and devotional literature in the coming New Year. This list is a primer, not exhaustive and something we will update from time to time.
You will find on the website (buwc.ca):
- A daily audio devotional (our stories / audio devotionals) – an original series of daily audio meditations from those in our Canadian Baptists of Western Canada family that you can listen to on your computer or that you can download onto your favourite MP3 player.
- A daily scripture.
- A daily prayer request.
- Three different forms of scripture reading guides (resources / online lectionaries)
- The Revised Common Lectionary
- Robert Murray M’Cheyne’s Lectionary or Daily Reading Schedule
- The Bible Society Readings
I have found the following books to be helpful.
- Two Thousand Years of Prayer – Michael Counsell
- *A Year with C.S. Lewis – Harpers Row
- *The Celtic Daily Book of Prayer – Harpers Row
- *Guide to Prayer – the Upper Room
- The Pilgrim’s Progress – John Bunyan
- The Lion Christian Poetry Collection – Compiled by Mary Batchelor
- Fredrick Buechner – Yearly Readings
There is a beginning.
And here is another beginning:
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
*These are daily devotionals.