How do you hear the voice of God? How do you discern a call to ministry? In its second year, the Potential Impact conference will gather young adults from across the denomination who are interested in entering the ministry to answer these questions.
As most of us over the age of 30 can empathize with, trying to decide what to do with your life is a staggering decision to make. Organizers of the Potential Impact conference hope to support young adults who are in the midst of that decision process.
“The next generation of Christian leaders, they’re at that stage right now asking, ‘God, what do you want from me?’” said Dennis Stone. “So having people to bounce ideas off of, being able to hear and see others goingthrough the same thing can be encouraging.” Dennis is our Alberta Regional Minister, and having been involved with pastoral placement and settlement, he saw a need within CBWC to better support young people, after youth group and before seminary. With this conference, Dennis hopes to help address that gap.
In small groups, participants will dig into spiritual discernment and direction, with support from peers and coaches. It’s meant as a place to dive deep into the questions about the call to ministry, alongside others who are going through the same thing.
The conference is based equally in the practical considerations as the spiritual discernment. Questions like, what is the job market for pastors? Where should I go to school? Will I have to move? will also be addressed.
Here’s what some 2017 participants said:
- “I was able to answer some questions and really look back at my life to see where I should go from now.”
- “I don’t know the exact details of my direction, but I do know that I am to make the most of where I am.”
- “I’ve known where God is calling me, however I’ve been trying to not go there. This weekend helped to accept the calling.”
Grade 11 students through to 24-year olds from all CBWC regions are invited to the beautiful oceanfront Keats Camp in B.C.. The conference runs from Thursday evening April 26th, 2018 until Sunday, April 29, at noon. Registration is $200.
- Find the brochure here: https://cbwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Potential-Impact-2018-Brochure.pdf
- Register here: https://cbwc.ca/events/#potential-impact
This article was published in the January 2018 issue of Making Connections. Subscribe to the Making Connections monthly newsletter here